Friday, August 2, 2013

Art Fairs, Accessories, and a Tasting...

Hello all!  I haven't written in over a month, and I apologize!  Let me give you an update on the latest.  So finished a purse that has been "in the works" for over 2 years now.  I was a vendor at a local art fair.  And Kevin and I did a tasting for a caterer for our wedding in June of next year.  It's been a busy month!  So here is a few photos of the purse I made.  I will be putting that up on my Etsy store today.
Front view of the purse.
It is a pretty tall purse, you can fit a binder in there with an inch or so to spare height wise.


The purse in standing mode.

I added a pocket inside to hide all those unmentionables you don't want people to see.

So that's the purse.  It was a learning experience.  Most of my projects are.  I don't have patterns.  I kind of just put things together how I would want them.  I like when purses have a liner in them so just incase a pen bursts in your bag, the outside doesn't get ruined.  That's happened to me before...  I enjoy having a pocket inside so I can keep things organized. Also I like to have pocket on the outside for easy access to my cell phone and keys, If I don't have my carabiniere attached to the strap of my purse.  I also like the option to close my purse if I need to.  I don't usually zip my bags closed because it's too much of a hassle when you need something quick.  But for instances where your bag falls over and everything falls out, it's nice to at least have a button, velcro, or a magnet to partially keep it closed.  I'm pretty pleased with it.  I think the next one I make will be better, as is the case with most things I make.  You can always improve your design/art I say.

So the Arts and Wellness fair wasn't a complete bust like one of the others I did last year, which is encouraging.  I made back the money I paid for the booth plus ten dollars.  So not a complete loss, thank goodness.  Kevin was nice and kept me company for most of the day.  It's always nice to have someone there with you especially for bathroom breaks.  Although, the staff that was there from Meiklem Kiln Works was always willing to help out and give bathroom breaks.  The staff and volunteers were so nice and super helpful.
Looking out from the back of my booth.
So something kind of awesome happened at the fair.  So I had two prints of a Godzilla etching I had done in art school.  I unfortunately left my etching plate at school and it got stolen.  My own fault, but still I was really proud of it and it bummed me out.  BUT!!!  Three people were interested in the prints.  One woman said she had to have it and borrowed money from her friend so she could get it.  This made me really consider doing the PayPal Here card swiper.  Kevin's Aunt bought the other print I had left.  I felt bad because the third person was a vendor and when he stopped by to check it out, both the prints were gone!  I guess I might have to do another drawing for next year to make it up to him.  That made me think that fan art might sell.  I don't know if I want to do a lot of that though.  

So lastly I will tell you the tale of Kevin and my experience with a tasting.  The nice thing about this caterer is that they're located in the same town that we're having out wedding, Narragansett, RI.  So we started our tasting with some options for passed hour d'oeuvres.  Some of the ones on the plate were ones we chose as an option like the bacon wrapped scallop.  It was really awesome so we're keeping that one for sure.  But some of the other options just wouldn't work for us like the fig pouch.  It was way too sweet.  Then KC, our contact at the caterer, brought out the salad.  Beautiful as well, and the dressing was really nice.  It was a honey thyme vinaigrette.  Nice and light, so we're not going to do two dressing option for our guests.  Sorry guys.  THEN came the main course options that we picked!
Mind you we didn't get to try our vegetarian option, but I think it will be fine.  We tried a cut of beef and a stuffed chicken.  The beef was awesome, but we both wished the stuffed chicken had more stuffing.  We're going to either re-think the chicken or ask if there can be a little more stuffing.  So here are some pictures of the food we tasted and of our venue, The Kinney Bungalow.
Garden salad with honey thyme vinaigrette dressing. 

Chicken breast stuffed with prosciutto, mozzarella cheese, and spinach.  With a side of asparagus and herbed risotto.

A cut of beef with a horseradish aioli sauce.  With a side of asparagus and herbed risotto.

The Kinney Bungalow in Narragansett, RI.
Today I visit with my Grandmother, who I haven't seen since Easter!  I'm the worst!  It will be nice to see her =0)  We'll be getting ice cream as it is one of her most favorite summer pastimes.  Have a great weekend everyone!


No comments:

Post a Comment