Saturday, May 23, 2020

Art and Storytimes...

This week was a mixed bag, but we rolled with it.  Started the week off okay.  I think trying to force education on my two year old didn't work so well.  We've had to adjust for his level of learning. Monday we did painting.  I had my Seurat book, Magritte book, and my Modern Art book from college out for them to look through.  That didn't happen, however.  My daughter and I read a few books on Epic! that were really great.  We read "My Dog Thinks I'm a Genius" by Harriet Ziefert and "The Little Paintbrush" by Bjorn F. Rorvik and illustrated by Thor Hansen.  
I had some Crayola paints, two 9"x12" canvas boards, paint brushes, q-tips, sponges, and FINGERS to use to paint a beautiful painting!

Their finished products.  My son had more fun squeezing the water out of his sponge than anything. 

Tuesday we did Read Along with Michelle Obama on PBS Kids for the first time.  We found the video on their YouTube channel.  It was so great!  We'll definitely be doing this every week.  Mrs. Obama had a special guest for the second story too, President Obama!  The first book was "Giraffe Problems" by Jory John and illustrated by Lane Smith (one of my favorite illustrators).  The second book was "The Bear Ate Your Sandwich" by Julia Sarcone-Roach.  Both really fun books.  

My daughter and I made a road of Play-doh.  All of her characters and animals were finding a new home.

Wednesday we did another online event with Laurie Berkner.  She uses the hashtag #berknerbreak. We used her Facebook page, but I think it's live on her Instagram and might be on her YouTube channel too.  It's at 10am.  It's a half hour program and she has a theme every day.  She does it Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  The theme was HELPING.  She had a brightly colored banner behind her so she could spell the word with the kids.  There were a lot of shout outs to people watching her Facebook live feed.  She sang a few songs and were easy to pick up if you didn't know them, like us!  I think the kids would've liked her Friday show better.  It was dinosaur themed and my kids both know the "We are the Dinosaurs" song. 

We didn't do as much as I hoped on my theme of the week, but like most people these days, I'm learning.  I am realizing now that I have to do two different things for my kids.  And that's okay, when I accepted that on Monday I noticed things were much better.  I wasn't so frustrated and the days went more smoothly.  Hope you all had a good week.  Check back next week to see what we were up to. Thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. You are doing a great job----getting a two year old to enter into even some of these activities is an accomplishment.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I appreciate that. It's tough having two age groups, but we figured it out I think.

      Delete
    2. So good to hear all of the great discoveries you and the kids are making!

      Delete