Thursday, July 2, 2020

Books and Highlights

I know I haven't been posting every week like I said I would.  I haven't been keeping up with weekly themes due to "summer vacation."  Both my kids don't know what that is, but I am pretending they do.  We've been sleeping in later, and not really doing a lot of learning.  Been going outside a lot and doing water play, movies, and playtime inside.  We have kept up with some of the story times we found during this pandemic.  PBS kids has a wonderful story time every week.  This week we did two.  The most recent was by Dwyane Wade.  The book is called "Welcome to the Party" by his wife Gabrielle Union.  Such a sweet book, written to welcome their little girl to the world.  The illustrations are so wonderful, they're by Ashely Evans.  The next one was "Purplicious" by Victoria Kann and Elizabeth Kann.  Book about bullying and finding friends who like you for you.  

My kids are very lucky to have grandparents that get them the little extras in life.  I feel so guilty for it most of the time, but I appreciate it.  One of those little extras is getting Highlights, the magazine.  I used to love reading it at the dentist.  Doing the hidden picture page.  But my kids have them for their own.  This month there was a fun craft to make, sparklers!  Perfect for right before the 4th of July!  I found out that it was probably for the more advanced reader to do with their parents.  It was kind of hard for me to do!  They helped gathering the supplies and smoothed down the tape for me.  

They came out alright, but not as good as the crafty people from Highlights, that's for sure!  My kids are having fun with them and we can use the extra supplies to make other sparklers for every day use.  

The other thing we did this week was make brownies.  Just a Betty Crocker box, but I feel like box brownies are the only way to go.  I always remember homemade brownies never coming out right.  I gave each of my kids turns at putting ingredients in the bowl and they had turns stirring with the wooden spoon.  They helped me grease the pan.  And always the best part, licking the spatula and or spoon!  Baking is always a good time, and always a nice treat for dessert for lunchtime after they've cooled.  
They love wearing their aprons!

Their grandparents also bought them a book from a suggestion on the PBS Newshour this past week.  It's from the Newshour's Canvas series.  Jeffrey Brown talks to writer Jason Reynolds about his picks for summer reading.  One he suggests for little kids, my kids age group, is "Honey, I Love" by Eloise Greenfield.  The illustrations are so beautiful, they're by Diane and Leo Dillon.  When I got the book in the mail, I was so happy to see the Reading Rainbow logo on the front of the book.  That was one of my favorite shows growing up.  I tried to get my daughter into it, but no such luck.  I might try again now that she's a little older.  She loves reading and being read to, so I think it's right up her alley.  Here are some of the books I got in the mail this week.  So happy to add them to our book collection. 


Both books are illustrated by Christian Robinson, but "Last Stop on Market Street" is written by Matt de la Pena.  Such great stories.  They help me show my kids how I want them to be, good humans.  "Last Stop on Market Street" talks about finding the good even when it seems there isn't any around.  Also about being kind and giving to all of those around you.  "You Matter" talks about how no matter who you are, how you are, what you are...you matter.  These books reassure me that there are still good people in the world and that I want to be apart of that kind, selfless, choosing love world.  I hope that I can teach my kids to be that way too.  

Hope you all had a good week.  Hope you all have a great 4th of July weekend and are able to safely spend time with family and friends.  Until next time...

2 comments:

  1. Love your love of books---great gift to the kids. And Highlights was a fav of mine too (also at the dentist office). Your sparkler looks great to me--and what fun baking brownies----I am a box brownie baker all the way! Love you, miss you! xox

    ReplyDelete