Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day weekend...

Today is Memorial Day, and to start it off I would like to say hope everyone has a very happy Memorial Day.  Hope everyone has great weather for all of those marching in parades and for all the fun BBQs that will be going on throughout the day.  And of course a big thanks to all our troops and veterans that are serving and have served, we all appreciate what you do and have done for us and your country.

Now to explain one of the busiest weekends I think Kevin and I have had in a few weeks.  Friday night was an awful night at work.  Super busy and the messiest customers.  I actually stood infront of a folded t-shirt table and said... REALLY!!!  It's not even Christmas time!  It looked like a busy weekend before Christmas.  People just ripped shirts from the pile and stuffed it on the shelf after they took it out.  I think it took me 45 minutes to fold both sides.  I had a customer change a diaper in the handicapped fitting room and leave the diaper placed in a hook to hang clothes...  It at least wasn't a poopy diaper, but it was warm and was still really gross that someone did that.

Anyway... I had Saturday off, which was nice.  Probably the least of our busy days.  Kevin and I made a strawberry rhubarb compote and put it on waffles for breakfast.  Then we headed down to Old Lyme to check out an estate sale hoping we could find some good stuff for our house, or for the wedding, or both!  There were a ton of trunks that the home owner had.  There was a cool square one that we really liked, but the family would only do so good as 75 for it instead of 85... She said she wished she could do better because we were adorable, ha!  She told us to come back Sunday or Monday to see if it was still there and maybe she'd do better.

Then we went to Lowes and Bob's to check out some stuff.  We're thinking of doing storm doors for the front and back doors so the kitties can look out and we can get more light into the house.  But of course, our door frame isn't standard sizing for the in-stock doors.  So frustrating!  It was a pretty good sale too, oh well I guess.  Kevin and I are going on vacation to NC next week and he needed some shoes seeing as he threw away two pair just last week.  So we got those at Bob's and went back home.  That night was an awards ceremony/party in downtown New London for our music scene in South Eastern Connecticut.  It's called the Whalies.  The weather was so awful that night, we decided to meet up with our friends that were up for awards after at a local bar.  It was so cold, damp, and rainy off and on that day.  Although I felt really bad we weren't there to support our friends, I'm glad we were warm and dry.  It was nice to catch up with them and celebrate after the awards.  Our friend James Maple won the critics' choice for Best Alternative Folk Preformance!  And our other friends from Pocket Vinyl won two peoples' choice awards!  Best Indie Pop and Best Music Video!  Great job you three, so happy for you all!

JR had someone take this for him.  Good shot =0)

The next day had been booked up for months!  We had planned with some of our friends to go to a Pop-up Farmers' Market at our local orchard, Holmbergs!  They went in cahoots with the Coventry Farmers' Market and did just one day of a farmers' market her in our part of the state.  But first we went to breakfast at Smakosh Restaurant.  My friend Amanda wanted pancakes and they usually have some pretty great pancake specials there.  It's a wonderful restaurant!


They had these really cool buttons for free, I took two.  One for my camera bag and one for my yellow coat I was wearing that day.  They're pretty fun, right?
There were a lot of people at the farmers' market, so pleased that it did so well!  They had a great duo playing music there too!  His name is Ramblin' Dan Stevens, he had a kick drum and a high hat for his two feet and he had a handmade guitar and a regular guitar he played too.  I really liked it.  Kevin and I got some groceries we needed and some fun stuff to eat as well from the local vendors.  It was really great, Kevin and I really love to shop locally whenever possible.  We feel it's very important to support our local businesses.  

From the farmers' market we hung out at home for about an hour and then headed over to an Engagement party for my friend from work.  That was nice, but holy crap was it cold!!!!  I eventually got sunburned on my face by the end of the day because we were outside most of Sunday, but it was so cold!  I think I changed three times that day adding warmer layers and different coats.  After being at the engagement party we headed home again and met up with our friends to go to a summer kick off party in Warren, RI.  I think all of us were pretty tired of being outside and spent a good portion of the evening inside our friend's apartment. 

AND THEN... We all headed back to Kevin and my house to watch two episodes of the new season of Arrested Development.  We were all pretty excited for the new season.  I do have to say I wasn't as awesome as I hoped, but I'm hoping as a whole season it will be amazing.  I'm not going to give it my full assessment yet because in the true fashion of the show, when you see it as a whole things make much more sense and are so witty and hilarious.  I don't like how they're portraying Michael and George Sr. though.  I hope it works out in the end.  I'm still excited to watch.

And today is filled with enjoying our back yard, meaning doing a little yard work, and cleaning the house.  Oh and then I have to be to work for 3pm to close.  Just another Monday really, but for everyone else it's a wonderful holiday to spend with family and friends.  Have a good one everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment